Home Forum General Parenting How do I help my kids through my divorce?

How do I help my kids through my divorce?

Patty
Participant

I have two daughters aged 15 and 17. The 17 year old seems to be coping with our split but my 15 year old is having a really tough time. She recently found herself a boyfriend who she gets high with all the time. I have tried grounding her, I have taken her phone away but nothing seems to work. I have made appointments with a therapist who deals with teens but she refuses to go. Not sure what to do.

#1739 Reply

Jessica Ehrenworth
Participant

It may be a good idea to go and see a therapist yourself. Sometimes by changing what we are doing, it also shifts things for the children. Unfortunately you can’t force her to get help if she doesn’t want to but you can be there to support her as much as you can and leave the door open for conversation.

I have helped parents work through these issues and often find that when you tweak your behaviour the people around you start to change theirs.

#1817 Reply

donna
Participant

Thats great advice Jessica!   I had a similar situation and through therapy learnt how to deal with my angry teen with understanding and support.

#2044 Reply

confused
Participant

I have a similar issue with my son.  However he absolutely won’t talk about it and is just mad all the time.  Therapy is out of the question and I am at a loss.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Reply To: How do I help my kids through my divorce?

Your information: